Friday, March 13, 2009

$290,000 to pass!













Oh man! Today we checked out the Panama Canal, and it was crazy! Did you know that the ships are charged by the ton to pass through the canal, and the ship we saw pass through the locks cost them 290,000 bucks? I am digging a canal, I'm not sure where yet, but I am going to be rich. If you help shovel i'll cut you in on my earnings.
Anyways, it was awesome. We also went to Gamboa, this area where you can hike trails in the rainforest and feed monkey's. It was later in the day and the sun was hot, so that will have to be saved for another trip. We did have lunch at this beautiful resort and saw this weird animal running around that looked like a giant rat. There were even signs driving up to the resort warning us about giant rat crossings... I did not get too close to it.
Alas, our trip is almost over. We have tomorrow to go on some hiking and shopping excursions and then our plane leaves early on Sunday. Sorrow fills my heart.

Here are some pics of our day and if I don't post tomorrow I'll post some more via LA!

Picture details:

1) The Pacific Canal locks
2) See how the water is at different levels? That is going to change...
3) me
4) The Panama Canal Railroad trains lead the ships through the canal, as seen here. After they expand the Canal (est. 2014) the ships will be lead by little boats, not trains.
5) The water has leveled and the lock has opened! The ship will make it to the Atlantic! In 8 hours...
6) View from Gamboa. Crocs love that water, there will be no swimming.
7) Me at the resort
8) That rat animal thing
9) The rat sign
10) A little piece of the city. The poverty level is high here, it's sad but makes for good pics.

Adios!



Will just got upset he wasn't in any of today's photos, so I had to add this one, so he will stop crying like a little Alice. 
Aw 




1 comment: